Halloween is a great time for DIY paper crafts such as spooky glow-in-the-dark ghost beads!
In this tutorial, we’ll make Halloween themed paper beads that hang like a pendant. They are easily created by wrapping a paper bead around a paper hanger.
1. Bead roller (Toothpick, drinking straw, quilling tool, or narrow metal dowel all work well.)
2. Mod Podge or other type of paper glue. Elmer’s glue is good too.
3. Glow-in-the-Dark Paint (I got mine at my local Joanns Craft Store )
4. Black Waterproof Marker – A Black Sharpie Marker is excellent for this. (NOT the oil based or paint kind.)
5. White paper cut into strips.
– Strips for Bead Hanger: Cut strips to about 8 inches x 1/4 inch.
– Strips for Bead: Strips that are 8 inches long and 3/4 inches at the top and 1/2 inch at the bottom.
Steps for Making a Ghost Paper Bead
1. Make the Bead Hanger
- Start rolling your hanger paper strip. After rolling 1 time around your roller, apply a little Mod Podge or glue to the side of the paper facing outwards.
- Keep rolling around your bead roller. Roll it 3 or 4 more times around the roller, leaving about 5 or 6 inches unwound.
- Apply Mod Podge to the rest of the strip
- Measure about 1/2 inch from the roller, and the fold the strip back onto itself.
- Bring the strip back up and over the roller and continue gluing it all the way around the strip until you reach the end of your paper. It will probably go around the strip about 3 or 4 times.
- Let dry
2. Wrap the Bead around the Bead Hanger
- Apply Mod Podge or glue to the paper for the bead, and wrap it around the hanger which you just made above. Keep the edge of the strip aligned with the bottom of the hanger so that you end up with a cone shaped bead. (The cone will actually be somewhat flattened from front to back.)
- Let dry
3. Decorate the bead
- Add eyes and mouth as desired with Sharpie pens
- Paint completely with glow in the dark paint. Make sure you paint it on thick or apply multiple layers. The glow in the dark paint dries clear but doesn’t glow well unless it is on there pretty thick.
- Let Dry. (See tutorial for making a Paper Bead Drying Rack.)
- After the paint dries, you might want to darken the eyes and mouth with the marker again if the glow in the dark paint is covering them too much.
Finished Ghost Bead